Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Best tomato variety for Hot, Humid, South Florida  (Read 6484 times)

ericalynne

• View Profile
Best tomato variety for Hot, Humid, South Florida
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
I have yet to find a really good tomato that resists the blights and insect pests that seem to grow faster than the tomato plants do. I have had mild success with Everglades tomato and Arkansas Traveler. I don't care about color or size (except I don't like yellow.)

What varieties have you all found grow well for you, in the subtropics?

Thank you,
Erica

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: Best tomato variety for Hot, Humid, South Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
I have yet to find a really good tomato that resists the blights and insect pests that seem to grow faster than the tomato plants do. I have had mild success with Everglades tomato and Arkansas Traveler. I don't care about color or size (except I don't like yellow.)

What varieties have you all found grow well for you, in the subtropics?

Thank you,
Erica

From what i remember living in alabama back when i was 8, it was almost impossible to get tomatoes to grow without using a lot of chemicals. I did find that all determinate varieties were screwed, and the faster the indeterminate grew, the better chance it had of escaping pests. Last year, i grew red currant tomatoes that grew like a rocket. I also found that using the weed barrier type mulch sometimes cut down on pests when i lived in chicago, don't know how well that's going to translate to alabama but it's worth a try i guess. For me i just had to keep as much of the plant off of the soil as i could.

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
thanks, plantlover13. I have noticed the same thing myself. It is a race to grow the indeterminate varieties as fast as possible to keep up with the diseases and pests. I thought maybe it was just me. Plants grown like this look terrible, but I do get tomatoes from time to time. I don't use a lot of chemicals. I do try to keep the plants staked up and off the potting mix. My soil is so poor I plant in pots.

It does seem that some varieties do better than others and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their experiences with other varieties.

I was thinking about giving that current tomato a try. Thanks for sharing.

Erica

boukmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
The one that I learned is the best is the Everglades Tomato.  It is supposed to be tough, adapted to Florida conditions, require little attention and will "grow like a weed" if not controlled.  Its only vulnerable to that horned tomato caterpillar.  As yet, my plants are free of white-fly.  Here's another John what's-'is-name from GrowingYourGreens.com video that seems to back up the hype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxAi3CfD6rE

"John" con be a little insufferable, but his vids are everywhere and they are informative.

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
Hi boukmn,

Thanks for the video link. I did grow Everglades tomato in Naples years ago, but it never looked as good as those plants. I think I will give them another try.

Also, if you follow the link to the guy who sells them, you get to a website localharvest.org that has a lot of interesting things to buy including seeds, fruit in season, honeys, etc.

Erica

nullzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »
Is there any Everglades tomato crosses? Sounds like a fun project if someone is into breeding tomatoes on a small scale.

boukmn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:41:45 AM »
One thing to note, if you grow multiple varieties of tomatoes, they will cross pollinate so your seed harvested from your fruit will be hybrids (so I'm told).  I got my seeds online so I am not certain they are "pure" Everglades tomatoes.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »
One thing to note, if you grow multiple varieties of tomatoes, they will cross pollinate so your seed harvested from your fruit will be hybrids (so I'm told).  I got my seeds online so I am not certain they are "pure" Everglades tomatoes.

not neccesarily, most tomato flowers actually self pollinate. only some cross pollinate readily. Not sure about everglades but i believe majority do not accidentally cross.

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
I have everglades tomato but it is more of a famine tomato...great when others won't grow.  Right now, my supersweet 100, sungold, and early girl are much better.  I planted juliet this year---very productive and look great---very bland though.

~Jeff

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
Tropical Greens,

What zone are you in?

Erica

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
Zone 10--Broward/Miami county line

Update on Juliet....they were much tastier when I let them ripen more---the early ones were picked just a bit underripe.

I am looking for a few tomatoes to try this spring/summer along with the everglades tomatoes.
~Jeff

TropicBob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
I'm in Davie. The Everglades and the Sweet 100 (not sure of the name) are the only 2 that have produce well. The Everglades is better tasting while the Sweet 100 really produced a lot. I have heard if you feed tomatoes a mineral fertilizer (like Azomite) they do much better.

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
I'm in Boca Raton. I'm just starting out with some veggie gardening this year. I started a few heirloom varieties from seed in January.  Cherokee Purple, German Johnson, Polish Linguisa, Brandywine, Pruden's Purple, Tigerella, Kellogg's Breakfast, German Green. I'm getting about a dozen tomatoes each from the first two -- so far. Both plants have stopped growing now and probably won't last much longer.  The others all look good and have set fruit, but are still green.
I'm using grow bags filled with potting mix. The bags sit in water about one half inch deep -- they dry out and I fill them again. The bags are about 12 inches high and 12 inches in diameter. No bug problems at this small scale -- except for leaf miners. I pinch out the leaf miner trails as soon as I can see them.

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
I'm in zone 9a in Hoiuston Texas wher we too are burdened with the heat and humidity (great for grapefruits though!)  My San Marzano collapsed.  My best luck has been with the cherry types.  Sungold in the best tasting ever.  Yellow pear succumbs to disease and is a bland tomato anyway.  Next winter I intend to try some grafted tomoatoes to beat the diseases.  Not sure where to get them so i can plant in february. 

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
All of my tomatoes are now done for. The Tigerella turned out to be my favorite - golf ball sized, set fruit readily, excellent taste. I'll try it again. The Kellogg's Breakfast was VERY tasty too, but we only got a couple of them. The German Green grew very vigorously but never set a single fruit. Cherokee Purple were just OK, flavor only fair. Brandywine has a great reputation - but we got just a couple of fruit. The Polish Linguisa set small oval fruit fairly readily, but most of them would get black spots on the tips and were ruined.

All of the varieties I tried were indeterminate heirlooms. Next season I will try a couple of determinate hybrids - plus the Tigerella again.

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum