Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Welcome to the Tropical Vegetable Forum!  (Read 12587 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Tropical Vegetable Forum!
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
Still a work in progress...

What categories/boards should we have? Should we have a separate board on the forum for root crops? Please feel free to post any suggestions here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:38:04 PM by murahilin »

Mikesid

• Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Tropical Vegetable Forum!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the new forum...now lets see some garden beds!
Always be planting!

nullzero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:12:36 AM »
murahilin,

How about Root Crops, Herbs / Recipes, and General?

Hollywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
I think Nullzero nailed it.
Katie

Tomato

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
Yes, root crops, recipes, and a buy sell trade.

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Ive been waiting for a forum like this thank you for starting it and all the work you guys do to held educate us aswell as giving us a great place to share our passions.

Eekus81

zands

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
Great idea here!!!  We need more knowledge how to grow hot season vegetables here

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
THis is an awesome idea!!!

only thing is, why doesn't this have the link to insert images like the fruit forum?

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
Yes, thank you so much! This is great! ;)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
I'm John in Raleigh NC (zone 7b) and recently bought the perfect house for food growing. Unlike most of the homes in this area my new house (really an old house) has full full full sun and decent soil. I'm on an acre and a half and have most of it devoted to food crops. The house came with an old half sized basketball court which I used as the foundation for a greenhouse where I store a lot of plants in the winter and where I grow some tropical fruit trees. The lot isn't square so I garden it in sections with a kitchen garden up near the house, a cactus garden in front driveway, a bushy crop area to one side, a vine crop area across the other side and a small orchard down along the bottom. The kitchen garden is a 44' by 44' series of raised beds where I grow all the normal veggie crops. I do throw in a few odd ball things like cocona, oca, and roselle and I like to decorate the dull areas with potted citrus and guavas. The vine area includes both hardy and fuzzy kiwis as well as pawpaw and a row of figs. Being in the south of course I have a row of muscadine grapes in addition to regular table grapes. Over in the bush crop area I grow blueberries, aronia, elderberries, blackberries and raspberries as well as pomegranites and pineapple guavas. The fruit tree area has mostly peaches and pears with a few berries that will handle shade (I have one edge of the property that gets half day shade). I also grow ginger and yacon in the open spaces between the trees. The greenhouse is mostly full of citrus and guavas but I have a bunch of new seedlings to look after. My garden features a few of the plants you usually see up north like rhubarb and apples and stuff you usually see in drier parts of the world like prickly pear cactus and goji berries. I'll pretty much try anything.

Illia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
I'm Illia, and I've just gotten into serious gardening about three years ago. I'm just a youngin' from up in the far northwest corner of Washington state, zone 8b, and thankfully am enjoying the pleasures of a greenhouse that has more than 1000 square feet of space. I grow both subtropical and tropical veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, etc both inside the greenhouse and outside in the gardens and orchards. My first introduction to the "veggie" aspect of tropicals was technically tomatoes, but, I'm not sure everyone considered them (sub)tropical. I grow too much to list but of the veggies they include some seeming rarities like Tree Collards, Toona sinensis, and Asian Winged Beans. I grow Kiwano as mentioned earlier but I call 'em fruits. :) The non-veggies (greens and sort) that I grow are, well, anything from Acca (pineapple guava) to Ziziphus (jujubes)

Edited to add, I guess rootcrops and all are veggies too so in that sense I also grow galangal, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, black pepper, to name a few.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:07:06 PM by Illia »

Illia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:50:30 PM »
1080 square feet. :) I also have over 2 acres of land slowly/quickly turning into a forest garden. And hi John! Nice to see more who are growing the less common foods but amazing foods. My pineapple guavas aren't even a year old yet (been hunting for years but they're always sold out, I look for specific varieties as our place never gets hot enough for "just any" to fruit) but one has already flowered, and wow, the petals taste amazing!

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
If I start the seeds mid summer and over winter them in pots in the greenhouse (really a high tunnel I seal up for the winter and heat with an old wood burning stove) and then plant them out in the ground the following year I will get fruit in the fall. They don't look like much, kinda like a fuzzy golden yellow ping pong ball. They taste like a very sour lemon but if you cook them with a bit of sugar they transform into a jelly like substance that taste like mango custard (hints of vanilla custard mixed with strong mango flavor). This year I am also getting some Lulo, which is the larger sweeter form of Naranjilla. I don't get many fruit off of them and sometimes I have to chop down the stems and hang them in the basement to further ripen because frost comes early and these babies won't survive even a mild frost. I have ties to South America, have traveled there often and eaten a bit of the local food so most of the oddball stuff in my garden has a Latin heritage.

Fruit wize - my garden tends to lean towards berries. They seem to be more of a powerhouse of nutrition than larger fruits and they require no spraying for disease.

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I recently moved to a small estate (1/8 acre or so) and am trying desperately to turn it into a food producing system for my family.  I also went mad planting like 30 fruit trees (gunnar429 in TFF).  I currently have perennials like chaya, edible hibiscus, roselle, katuk, moringa, Okinawa spinach, Egyptian spinach (may be an annual but self-seeds), pigeon pea, Miami spinach, cranberry hibiscus, etc.

I also have standard veggies like eggplant, tomatoes, pumpkin, Seminole pumpkin, sweet potatoes, Armenian cukes, beans, okra, kohlrabi, mustard, kale, collard, cabbage, turnip  greens, and much more. 

I am excited about this site because despite fruit being so coveted, we need the nutrition that veggies give us on a daily basis.  In other words, I know we can make more use of the veggies than the fruit...went to ECHO a while back and brought back several of the plants mentioned above.   I also read Perennial Vegetable by Eric T. So far, I am still trying to incorporate the plants into my cuisine, but I love snacking on them while working outside.
~Jeff

from the sea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »
hi i live in the fl keys and have been looking for leaf veggies to grow in the summer, glad to have found this site.
i grow taro, malanga, sweet potato, moringa, cinnamon, Culantro, black eyed peas, cherry tomatoes, spiny chayote, and tons of fruit.

i use the taro for cooked greens, and the sweet potatos like lettuce

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum