Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Canna edulis, anyone growing?  (Read 9530 times)

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
Re: Canna edulis, anyone growing?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
queensland arrowroot is just a common name.  It is the same thing as canna edulis
~Jeff

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
I will start to grow them. Just buy some seeds!  ;D

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »
The leaves are also compost magic. Use them like Comfrey leaves.
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s3750224.htm

That's what I am talking about!!!  I am going to get some more seeds.  Plus, the flowers are strikingly tropical
~Jeff

Grandmotherbear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »
Reactivating an old topic here.
I have them growing in child's swimming pools. One plant totally filled the pool last summer and I removed 3 tubers to put in 3 more pools with water chestnuts and purple foliaged rice.
My water mimosa has crawled out of it's pot and I whacked off a couple branches and stuck them in, too. (nitrogen fixing, high protein)
The original pool was planted with Canna, water chestnuts, and an error I made- sagiterriu lancefolia,not latifolia. The original pool has about crowded out the sagiterrium and water chestnuts.
Haven't tried to eat the tubers yet, The plants in the original pool are taller than me (5 ft 2) when they bloom, but the ttransplants are blooming at hip high.
Anyone else growing edible canna?

stuartdaly88

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 02:42:49 AM »
I have many many ornamental cannas variegated leaf and plain leaf all have medium orange flower.
Are these types edible??
If edible are they palatable?
If not whats the best way to get some edible ones?

nullzero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 03:53:33 AM »
I got a large tuber Canna edulis bulbs (the pics of the plant looked good from ebay a while back. I am also growing the following from Sacredsucculents. Canna edulis 'Maximo's Purple'                                                                                                                                                                                                      Originally introduced by Oregon Exotics. Very fat, fast growing edible rhizomes, white with purplish bands. Large dark green leaves with purple hues, reddish flowers. Hardy to Z8B if well mulched. This one is much smaller atm, grown in part shade in a 2 gal container.

I have a bunch of the ebay one in a 7 gal container, I am going to repot it some time soon. I should take a picture of the rhizome size.

LivingParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »
Here is some info on edible cannas:

http://www.eattheweeds.com/canna-confusion/

I want to try some now! I already wanted to grow them, but was waiting because I thought they were not edible and priority for planting goes to edible plants. Now they moved high up on the priority list!

stuartdaly88

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Interesting article!!

I still have abit of canna confusion though :'( Are all kinds safe to eat? (I have no idea what the ornamental kinds are here probably hybrids of some kind)

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »
Sorry to bump and old topic!

I grow red flowering Canna edulis if anyone want to trade for seeds! Never tried eating them but am very curious. If they're good its a super easy crop to grow and perennial too! That Eat The Weeds article is great! I believe it says all are technically edible especially the flowers but some are much better than others for various reasons. Its been awhile since I've read it though...

FairDinkumSeeds in Australia has red and Grower Jim here in FL grows the yellow flower type. However I'm available too and have way too many seeds! Hit me up!

TravelingFriend

• wish list: albizia julibrissin, ashwagandha, Gotu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
I will add my bit of experience. Growing canna edulis and other flowering cannas, I choose to pull cigar leaves, in a very patient slow manner a day before they'd open wider. I would say the part emerging is 7" or larger, up to 1/2" wide, when harvested well 8" or more will ease out of plant, revealing tender whiteness. With grassfed butter it doesn't need any herbs and spice, just S & P, but its super tender cooks faster than asparagus. I may cut them into finger lengths, but easy when they are of length so they make good contact with heat. And its just easy heat, very quick, or it may Brown.
I'd love to learn a way to process for starch, wonder if I peel and chop and dehydrate? Should we extract the starch? Seems all that fiber would be good, but mine aren't always tender...

AnnaleeAnaws

• View Profile
    • Игрушки для взрослых
Canna edulis anyone gro
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
They can assign you as their caregiver.
You can find the forms needed online. I think you can get them off the NORML website as well.
It is best to have the forms notarized when you are both signing them.

Здесь Только лучшее для BeamNG.Drive.
<a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAdT2W39Nk>скачать beamng drive 5</a>

vladis#777999

• View Profile

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum