Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Moringa Oleifera, health beneficts and cuture tips!  (Read 18462 times)

Luisport

• View Profile
Moringa Oleifera, health beneficts and cuture tips!
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
Moringa oleifera (Moringaceae), plant indigenous to India is considered by botanists and biologists, a miracle of nature. A hope for combating world hunger. Rich in vitamins and minerals, it has, according to recent studies:

a) seven times more vitamin C than orange;
  b) four times more calcium than milk;
  c) Twice the protein of Yogurt;

d) Four times more vitamin A than carrots;
  e) Three times more potassium than a banana;
  f) 27% protein, equivalent to the beef;
  g) More iron than spinach;
  h) present Vitamins: A, B (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin), C, E, and beta carotene.
  i) present Minerals: Chromium, Copper, Phosphorus, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Selenium and Zinc.

Internet search will show hundreds of references. It is considered medicinal. Studies have shown its efficiency in dozens of diseases: is anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-spasmodic, anti-diabetic, diuretic, anthelmintic (flowers and seeds).  http://www.granjaparaiso.com.br/index.php?l=Plantas_Supervitaminadas&op=Moringa_Oleifera

Luisport

• View Profile
Re: Moringa Oleifera, health beneficts and cuture tips!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION USE

HUMAN CONSUMPTION - For its nutritional properties, can be used in the treatment of malnutrition, it is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. It can also be used to combat obesity and high cholesterol, nutrition replacing with equivalent but more vitamins and minerals, meat and various other fattening foods or that are rich in saturated fats.

FEED - can also be planted as forage to feed sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, dairy cows. Plant the seeds every 80 cm. When the plant reaches 80 cm in height, cut up pointers. After budding new, multiple shoots will emerge. When they reach 30 centimentos it cuts off again all pointers, so there is a new budding. Thus the plant fuller body. After this second break pointers can be cut shoots and the leaves removed to serve as food. For its concentration of vitamins and minerals, is a noble food that helps reduce the cost of creation.

MEDICAL USE - In Africa, millions of people with HIV and AIDS has been a weapon in the fight against debilitating effects of this disease, it is rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals, as well as powerful weapon against malnutrition in chronic many parts of that continent.

Results were positive in the treatment of prostatitis, prostate cancer, rheumatism, tumor, systemic lupus erythematosus, arthritis and other autoimmune diseases, hypertension, hepatitis, gastrointestinal motility, Epstein-Barr virus, epilepsy, chronic fatigue caused by the treatment of ailments cancer, prenatal care, glaucoma, poor nutrition of adults and children, obesity reduction, healing of gastro-intestinal irritation, dermatosis, of bronchitis and inflammation of mucous membranes in infants. The roots are laxative. The plant produces effect renewal of epithelial cells, the sex organs and brain.

Studies have shown its efficiency in dozens of diseases: is anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-spasmodic, anti-diabetic, diuretic, anthelmintic (flowers and seeds).

There is quote from the use of this plant for this purpose in the Bible, in Exodus 15:20-25. She is considered a miracle of nature, a true natural pharmacy.

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
Moringa's health benefits
Rich in antioxidants - Analysis has shown that dried and powdered moringa leaves (which is how moringa is usually sold and consumed) contain 46 antioxidant types, including carotenoids, zinc, selenium, chromium, and all the vitamins (even vitamin B and vitamin K). Moringa leaves also contain 36 anti-inflammatory compounds, including calcium, copper, chlorophyll, omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, and sulfur. All of these antioxidants and compounds occur naturally in the plant, and work together to maximize absorption. For example, the magnesium found in moringa helps us to absorb its calcium.

Nutrient concentrations - Like most superfoods, moringa contains a lot of nutrients. What really sets it apart from others, though, are the concentrations of those nutrients. For example, ounce-per-ounce, dried moringa leaves contain three times more potassium than bananas, 2,500 times more amino acids than green tea, three times more iron than spinach or roast beef, three times more calcium than milk, and 10 times the recommended daily amount of vitamin E.

A complete protein - Moringa leaves are between 30 and 40 percent protein, and contain 18 amino acids. Of these, nine (valine, lysine, leucine, histidine, isoleucine, methionine, threonine, phenylalanine, and tryptophan) are essential amino acids. This makes moringa a 'complete' protein source - something seldom found in the plant world. We need protein, of course, to build bones, skin, blood, and cartilage, and to produce hormones and enzymes. Without it, our bodies would biochemically dismantle.

Makes a great oil - Though the moringa tree is best-known for its nutritious leaves, its seeds also have a use: Tthe matured pods can be processed into 'ben oil,' a clear, sweet oil that rivals olive oil in antioxidant activity. Ben oil is extremely durable and doesn't spoil, and has been used for centuries as a perfume base, cooking lubricant, and salad dressing.

Given moringa's healthiness, it is unsurprising that regular consumption of its leaves - in cooked or dried states - has been linked to reduced blood pressure, weight loss, improved mood and digestion, healthier skin (some Western cosmetic companies are now adding moringa extracts to their skincare products), and much more. In fact, Ayurvedic medicine claims that over 300 diseases can be treated by consuming moringa leaves. So why not try it out?

Sources for this article include:

http://www.tfljournal.org/article.php/20051201124931586

http://www.veria.com

http://www.moringatreeoflife.com/About_Moringa.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_oil

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/041264_moringa_oleifera_protein_tree_of_life.html#ixzz2ZgyRcWsJ

Hollywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
It is great for use in stews and soups, and I use it frequently. But a little too strong to eat raw. I have found that I can't use it in stir fries either because the tiny stems attached to each leaf are brittle unless cooked (and kept) in liquid.
Katie

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:49:50 AM »
It is great for use in stews and soups, and I use it frequently. But a little too strong to eat raw. I have found that I can't use it in stir fries either because the tiny stems attached to each leaf are brittle unless cooked (and kept) in liquid.
In tea is great! You can juice it and use as growing hormone to plants! Great for animal food too...  ;)

Hollywood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
In tea is great! You can juice it and use as growing hormone to plants! Great for animal food too...  ;)

I started using it as a foliar feed a few weeks ago. I don't have any livestock around. As for tea...I'll stick to chamomile. :)
Katie

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »

I started using it as a foliar feed a few weeks ago. I don't have any livestock around. As for tea...I'll stick to chamomile. :)
You can mix moringa+camomile...  ;D

Future

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
The nutrition is indeed great although the comparison to other common food items is not fair.  No one eats moringa in quantity - it is not conducive to doing so.  But it is an amazing plant.  Very resilient, fast growing and combines so many good qualities.  Hard to think of any other plant that has so much to offer in one package.

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
The nutrition is indeed great although the comparison to other common food items is not fair.  No one eats moringa in quantity - it is not conducive to doing so.  But it is an amazing plant.  Very resilient, fast growing and combines so many good qualities.  Hard to think of any other plant that has so much to offer in one package.
Today i just understand i'm seeing much much better! I can read without glasses now, thing that was impossible to do. And the only only thing that changed in me or my nutrition is that i take moringa capsules since 8 months... i allready see vídeos from Brazil were children recover from poor sightening with moringa!  ;D

Future

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Today i just understand i'm seeing much much better! I can read without glasses now, thing that was impossible to do. And the only only thing that changed in me or my nutrition is that i take moringa capsules since 8 months... i allready see vídeos from Brazil were children recover from poor sightening with moringa!  ;D

No dispute from me.  But folks who haven't eaten this before should not expect to get, say their full calcium intake from it.  You would have to eat just too much of it to get that.

TropicBob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
I have three trees and the only problem is they grow too fast. I use the leaves in stir fries mixed with everything else from my yard and olive oil. It is also great in soup. I use it with green tea and roosibos when making iced tea. I recently received another moringa in a trade and this one is mild tasting and can be eaten raw- I believe it must be Moringa s. and not the Moringa o.   

Also the pods are the best part of the tree, as they can be boiled, scraped out (like artichokes) and taste like asparagus.

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
I have three trees and the only problem is they grow too fast. I use the leaves in stir fries mixed with everything else from my yard and olive oil. It is also great in soup. I use it with green tea and roosibos when making iced tea. I recently received another moringa in a trade and this one is mild tasting and can be eaten raw- I believe it must be Moringa s. and not the Moringa o.   

Also the pods are the best part of the tree, as they can be boiled, scraped out (like artichokes) and taste like asparagus.
Yes they grow very fast but you can cut her, and moringa tree will grow stronger!

TropicBob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
I don't really consider growing fast a problem for a desired tree (It would be for grass and weeds). I planted mine by seed in June 2011. I have pruned them severely twice and they need another severe pruning. The other problem is I love eating the pods and if I keep the tree small it won't produce them.  Now the other variety I have, Moringa S., will be kept small since that reportedly won't produce pods here in south Florida. Those leaves are also much better tasting raw.

TropicBob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
As mentioned above, I have read that Moringa is used by people who want to look younger and know a woman who planted it for that reason. Is it the leaves that purportedly does this or oil from the seeds applied to the face?

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »
As to growing fast, if it gets too big, eat it.  ::) seriously, it's good as a green.

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum