Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Moringa Oleifera, health beneficts and cuture tips!  (Read 18520 times)

boukmn

• View Profile
Re: Moringa Oleifera, health beneficts and cuture tips!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »
Can't say much about the M. hildebrandtii or M. drowhardii.  I just started growing them.  I will say, they are HUGE seeds! 4-5x larger than a oleifera seed and are likewise producing much larger plant seedlings. 

The stenopetala grows 3x slower than oleifera, has a much wider spread, branches more and has a different (more flavor IMHO) taste to it.  My personal favorite so far.

My least favorite moringa is the Moringa ovalifolia.  Grows as slow as stenopetala, has smaller leaves than oleifolia, and needs to be pruned like oleifolia since it will get spindle-like.

LivingParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
Thought I would bring this back only because I notice there is a lot of misinformation earlier in the thread about the nutritional value, which people are saying is limited because one can only eat so many moringa leaves.

This is incorrect. In nations where the tree is being used for much needed nutrition, the leaves are dried and ground into powder. The powder is then made into a paste, which is added to soups, stews, dips, teas, or eaten any way you can think of. Of course, one could also grind them directly into a paste - the powder has the added benefit of allowing for longer storage, which is especially important in nations where refrigeration/freezing is not available. The powder could also be made into capsules to take as a supplement. Like any vegetable, cooking is at least going to allow you to eat more than consuming raw because it removes some of the water content and breaks down some of the fiber.

A great video on how Moringa Oleifera is used to prevent starvation and malnutrition in West African nations like Ghana:
MORINGA OLEIFERA TREE documentary part 1

There is also a Part II:

MORINGA OLEIFERA TREE documentary part 2

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
  • Sun is shining, the weather is sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 07:26:01 AM »
I have seen reports where moringa powder was given to nursing mothers who had a low/non-existent milk supply due to malnutrition.  The effects are 2-fold, providing the mother with nutrients, increased milk production and babies who are able to put on weight at such a crucial age.  ECHO swears by moringa, and they have no particular business interest in it since they are a non-profit focused on helping the poor around the world.
~Jeff

from the sea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
just be careful juicing it, it is not nice.

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
 ;D

Yeah, it has a horseradish kick to it
~Jeff

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
just be careful juicing it, it is not nice.
But i think in the soup, tea, or young leaves in salads is very good.

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 11:04:06 PM »
Luis,

what types of greens do you grow?  Any fruit trees that you also consume as vegetables?
~Jeff

LivingParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
I don't know how I managed not to know this, but I planted these things without even knowing that they flower - and profusely! The flowers are considered a delicacy... but I must say I found them to taste like a cross between raw broccoli, and horseradish, and they left a pretty strong aftertaste! My mouth was burning for a while... I think in the future I will cook with them, like put them in soups, which I would think would mellow out the flavor quite a bit.

stuartdaly88

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:47 AM »
Leaves wilted in a pan with some olive oil are heaven and strongly rival spinach. I prefer it actually!
Put some almond or nut flakes in add crispy fried Okra slices wow!

Its weird how strong the horse radish kick is(which I like but my fiancee doesnt) when fresh but heat it just abit and mild tasty flavor:)
Im keen to try in soups and hopefully the pods too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:00:08 AM by stuartdaly88 »

LivingParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »
Leaves wilted in a pan with some olive oil are heaven and strongly rival spinach. I prefer it actually!
Put some almond or nut flakes in crispy fried Okra slice wow!

Its weird how strong the horse radish kick is(which I like but my fiancee doesnt) when fresh but heat it just abit and mild tasty flavor:)
Im keen to try in soups and hopefully the pods too.

Sounds delicious - I will definitely try that!

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »
Luis,

what types of greens do you grow?  Any fruit trees that you also consume as vegetables?
Not fruit tree leaves, but for example the Pereskia aculeata.

Tropical Greens

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
Luis,

Not fruit tree leaves, but for example the Pereskia aculeata.
ok.  gonna start a new thread on that one
~Jeff

Chandramohan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 05:48:28 AM »
Moringa flowers sauted with chopped shalots, dried chilies and mustard, ls a favourite stirfry in Kerala. It is very tasty and nutritious. For stomach ache, the juice from the bark has been a sure shot remedy for generations in Kerala. Peel about 4 sq.inches of the thick bark from the base of the tree. Scrape of the outer brown layer. Pound the bark and squeeze out the juice. Take teaspoon of the juice,with a pinch of salt and swallow it. The most severe stomach ache will disappear in 5 minutes!!!!. I have used this since my teens and have given it to my friends and relatives with astonishing results!!!

stuartdaly88

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
Moringa flowers sauted with chopped shalots, dried chilies and mustard, ls a favourite stirfry in Kerala. It is very tasty and nutritious. For stomach ache, the juice from the bark has been a sure shot remedy for generations in Kerala. Peel about 4 sq.inches of the thick bark from the base of the tree. Scrape of the outer brown layer. Pound the bark and squeeze out the juice. Take teaspoon of the juice,with a pinch of salt and swallow it. The most severe stomach ache will disappear in 5 minutes!!!!. I have used this since my teens and have given it to my friends and relatives with astonishing results!!!
Great info thank you my fiancee gets terrible stomach aches. Is it for any kind of stomach ache?

Recipe also sounds yummy:) I would add some almond slivers or for the peeps on here that don't mind meat some crispy bacon bits ;D

LivingParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
As an update, I have 6 moringas currently growing, several have flowered, and one has put out its first pod. Rather than eating it, I am waiting for it to dry up so I can plant the seeds.

I learned from another website that moringa respond very well to aggressive pruning. So there is no need for them to look spiny and unattractive, or for anyone to avoid planting because of the concern that they can grow some 20ft in a single year. I am amazed that before I knew this, I had noticed they were bendy and decided to shape them into circles to make hedges rather than trees, and see how they do - they started sprouted profusely from the sides, in reaction. So this pruning idea seems likely to be true. As the next ones get larger, I will start hacking them down and see what shapes I can make them take. The more young branches you cut off to eat, the more new ones it grows. A great source of food, and (I think complete?) protein, as well as many medicinal qualities.

So finally, I have enough leaves to eat some pretty much every day. They are very easy to remove from the limbs. I just cut some young branches, and run my hands down each stem, separating all the leaves from the stems. This is even easier to do if you leave them on a counter overnight and do this when they are weaker and slightly dry. I have eaten leaves that had dried out and reconstituted them in soup, as well as cooking fresh leaves. I must say, the taste of both leaves and flowers changed dramatically with cooking, and both are very pleasant and actually quite mild.

The flowers, when cooked, actually taste to me rather like roasted popcorn.

I have not eaten one of the pods yet, but I did cook some thick young stems, and they have a nice, mild vegetable flavor. The entire plant is edible, including the seeds, so when  I no longer have to worry about planting seeds, I will try eating those too.

I got my seeds from some seller on Amazon, and although only 6 of 20 sprouted, it was a great purchase for me.

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum