Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Tropical tree vegetables  (Read 12513 times)

nullzero

• View Profile
Tropical tree vegetables
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Here is a short list of overlooked tropical vegetable trees used mainly in Asia (this is based off research I have done, please do your own research to verify.);

Sesbania Grandiflora: Leaves, Flowers, Pods
Acacia  pennata: Leaves
Bauhinia Purpurea: Flowers, Leaves
Bombax Ceiba: Flowers

Hollywood

• View Profile
Re: Tropical tree vegetables
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
Moringa oleifera is another tropical tree vegetable (although not from Asia that I am aware).
Katie

nullzero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
Moringa oleifera is another tropical tree vegetable (although not from Asia that I am aware).

I did not bother to add that one in, since its so well known now.

Hollywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
I appreciate the more esoteric knowledge, but some people visiting the site will actually be new to perennial gardening.
Katie

nullzero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »
I appreciate the more esoteric knowledge, but some people visiting the site will actually be new to perennial gardening.

True, good to add in the more common ones.

Here is another one Sauropus androgynus "Katuk"

Luisport

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
Yes, moringa is one of the best vegetables i know! It can recover total children with poor nutrition. His oil can take away pains, etc! Great tree!!! ;D

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Great thread!

Veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
Bombax ceiba is a giant tree, and takes many years to flower. The flowers are very pretty, and a glossy red, how do they taste? I think I read that the stamens are harvested for a spice, can you eat the whole flowers? This seems like a tree worth growing (perhaps as a bonsai), and also produces fiber which can be spun.

Great thread!

I agree.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
I'm trying to think of tree vegetables i know and keep coming up short  :(

Veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
I'm trying to think of tree vegetables i know and keep coming up short  :(

Ooh, I've got a good one! Adansonia species, the baobabs, with edible leaves supposedly tasting akin to okra. Are we also forgetting plams? My choice is chilean wine palm, with edible fruit, seeds, sap, and the thing that makes it a veggie: palm hearts. There are several other palm heart-worthy palms, but I cannot think of any. Perhaps you could with this?

mangomike9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »
Bactris gasipes or peach palm is grown commercially for hearts of palm. Many species of palms have edible hearts. Metroxylon or sago palm in Indonesia is another group of palms that are harvested for their starch.

The young leaves of Pachira species are said to be edible. The are relatives of Ceiba. I believe I read somewhere that durian flowers are eaten (although I wouldn't want to do that if it reduced the number of durians in the world!)

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
I heard that bactris can easily be raised in a container if it is being grown solely for hearts of palm, and it can be harvested in just two years. I have an experiment to try out now  :).

Coconut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:33:48 AM »
I am growing the dwarf  assai palm for its palm heart, less than two years and it sending multiple suckers, love wet soils. Of course fruit is good too. Coconut endosperm sprout is an excellent treat.  The coconut palm heart are simply delicious. The young leaves & shoot of spondias dulcis are delicious in salad, like a sour granny smith apple. Banana blossom are excellent in olive oil.  Papaya for the unripe green fruit for papaya salad, also young green fruit when cook in soup taste like cook zuchini squash. Green baby jackfruit cook slice into medallion & mix with chicken make an excellent salad with a ginger soy peanut dressing. Green plantain is a starch staple in many tropical culture. :D

Veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »
Coconut, it looks like nothing that you grow will go to waste! I thought up another, the balanites (bae-luh-night-ees) palm. All parts of the tree are edible, from the leaves, which the tree is stripped of by humans and other animals, to the fruit and seeds, which are equally vital to certain african cultures (though the seeds must be boiled to before being eaten due to their saponin content), to the sap, which is chewed like a gum and to ward off insects, so similar to the chilean wine palm I mentioned above, exept this tree isn't a palm!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:00:05 AM by Veggie »

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
Here is a short list of overlooked tropical vegetable trees used mainly in Asia (this is based off research I have done, please do your own research to verify.);

Sesbania Grandiflora: Leaves, Flowers, Pods
Acacia  pennata: Leaves
Bauhinia Purpurea: Flowers, Leaves
Bombax Ceiba: Flowers

What do you do with Bauhinia leaves?
Erica

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum