Tropical Vegetable Forum

Author Topic: Can you grow a cassava plant from a store bought root?  (Read 11313 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Can you grow a cassava plant from a store bought root?
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
And if you can, what do you need to do?

Thanks!

Veggie

• View Profile
Re: Can you grow a cassava plant from a store bought root?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
It is likely that a store bought root is too old to grow, but to plant it, scrub any waxing of, and place pointed end down in a cylindrical hole matching the size of the root (top to bottom), and cover with organic matter such as moss, dried leaves, compost, ect., with the top just barely showing from the soil. Be careful not to let the root get too much water while waiting for a sprout, we all know how easy these things go bad. You may have a far easier time with cuttings, perhaps another member could help you out finding those.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:58:24 AM by Veggie »

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
I will probrably try anyway, as getting cuttings will be a pain (being a teen and all, getting parents to oblige, etc.)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Not that the garden flower Dahlia or even Daylilies are in any way related to Cassava (tapioca plant) but they do have special fleshy storage roots that form a cluster off the main root ball. At least they all look alike. In the flowers case the storage roots won't sprout a new plant, they are only used to store water and some nutrients for the plant during the dry season or winter. Sooooo I'm not sure if you buy a Yuca root at the store and pot it up if it will grow a Tapioca or Cassava plant - the root we eat looks more like a storage root than a propagating root to me. But it would be easy to try.

By the way, keep in mind that most forms of cassava are deadly poisonous without proper curing and handling. There are some types that have very little poison though, I don't how you would know the difference. In the store they aren't labeled by cultivar name. In some countries they are barely processed or cooked (low poison type) and in others they do all sorts of complicated treatments before the meal is ever eaten (high poison type).

There is a winter hardy form, sold as Hardy Tapioca plant but it doesn't form edible roots.

Besides the root crop sold most often as Yuca this is also where Tapioca comes from.

Veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
They can sprout a new plant when disconnected fron the parent, but they store horribly, worse than your description of yacon. Many plants are like this, and I wouldn't be suprised if cassava was like this, although like plantlover, I will try my best. Did not realize this was where tapioca is from, are the roots particularly starchy, and how is the starch extracted?

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »
They can sprout a new plant when disconnected fron the parent, but they store horribly, worse than your description of yacon. Many plants are like this, and I wouldn't be suprised if cassava was like this, although like plantlover, I will try my best. Did not realize this was where tapioca is from, are the roots particularly starchy, and how is the starch extracted?

They have to be cooked, so the cyanide is extracted, then you use it lke tapoica, i guess..

from the sea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
in the U.S. they only sell the sweet cassava (low poison) the roots are really starchy, you boil them for like 45 min changing the water 1 or 2 times, and never cook it in aluminum pans, the cyanide mixes with the aluminum and makes something that will have you stuck in the bathroom for a bit :-\, after you cook them they are awesome deep fried.

to get tapioca you somehow extract the starch and dry it, but if you boil it you use it like a potato, but they are a little fibrous, taste great though.
 it is also called yuca, not yucca, that's a sentry plant.  google "yuca recipes" there are hundreds of recipes for it.

Mike T

• Veging Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:48 AM »
Cassava is very hard to grow from tubers and you really need a stick or sem.
The world needs more rooting.

GrowerJim

• View Profile
    • Garden Adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Start with a stem cutting. You can read more about growing cassava here:  http://growerjim.blogspot.com/2013/11/cassava-yuca-manihot-esculenta.html

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
thanks.

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
Last year I scrapped the wax and quartered a store root. Got2 of them to sprout roots. They were erupted from one end. They just stayed that way all year no plant every sprouted from them. A major waste.

I've got them from stem cuttings if you'd like to trade.

Chandramohan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 06:09:42 AM »
Cassava, Tapioca,Yuca,Manioc all refer to the same tuber, Manihot esculanta. The bitter ones contain more cyanide and must be propperly treated before eating. But the sweet ones can even be eaten raw as we commonly do in Kerala. The bitter ones are some times planted as fences to deter goats and cows.

tropicbreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:00:01 AM »
Cassava only grows from stem cuttings. The tubers are only storage organs and not regenerative organs. Most of the cyanide compounds are in the skin so peeling gets rid of a lot of it, but not all. As mentioned earlier some varieties have been bred to have a lower toxic content but it's always advisable to cook them well in a couple of changes of water. Many years back when cassava was introduced into third world countries it caused a lot of medical problems. Even with preparation the toxicity wasn't enough to kill but caused a lot of problems, especially with children. They found that use of iodised salt reduced the problem. The iodine binds with the cyanide and helps the body expel it. But an iodine deficient diet leaves people vulnerable to small amounts of cyanide. The young leaves can also be cooked, they have a high protein content.

It's also used as a 'sacrificial plant' in areas where termites are a problem. The termites are attracted to it usually before other plants and are poisoned there away from the main crop.

AnnaleeAnaws

• View Profile
    • Игрушки для взрослых
Can you grow a cassava plant from a store bought
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 04:03:52 AM »
I could offer some recommendations but they might only be relevant for Australians, where are you from?

- кстати (немного не по теме) вчера наткнулась на хороший сайт, который возвращает часть средств от покупок в интернете!
Всем рекомендую http://epngo.bz/cashback_index/130rx1

Aarongag

• View Profile
    • Expert advisor
Can you grow a cassava plant from a store bought root
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »
So I went to a pet store the other day and bought a bunch of this red stem plant. I do not have any idea what it is and I have only seen it on the bottle of Seachem Flourish Iron. Im sure its the same plant as it looks identical. Does anyone know what type of plant this is?
I recommend trying mt4 expert advisor for profitable investments

Copyright © Tropical Vegetable Forum